Sunday, December 12, 2010

Algorithmic Architecture


Lots of hard, hard work went into this stupid little box. I came up with a little room-drawing algorithm which is basically a list of for-loops and if statements to check whether or not you're on an even or an odd row.

For the longest time it kept drawing the walls messed up. With so many different pieces of code potentially contributing to the problem, it took me ages just to get my brain to figure out what was happening. I resorted to adding that blue coordinate overlay which helps immensely with debugging, but it slows down the frame rate considerably.

I haven't even decided what kind of game I am making. I've always loved Diablo and Crusader: No Remorse which is the basis for my decision to go isometric. Besides that I have no clue what I plan to do. I'm always drawn to anachronism in a medieval setting so it will probably be a Dying Earth-genre ripoff. Lots of faded velvet-bound librams and unidentified weapons. Sort of Diablo meets The Book of the New Sun. But my biggest goal is to somehow make it intriguing enough that my girlfriend would want to play it. . . Which is why the current player sprite is a CAT. I don't have anyone else to show this stuff to!

My next project is going to be a comprehensive "Generator" class which can be fed tiles, map layers, and sizes and produce algorithmic architecture. The room was easy to create, once I debugged the draw code that was jumping around.

Up next:
  • Doors/Arches
  • Hallways
  • Windows
  • Roofs?
  • and of course, making better artwork

No comments:

Post a Comment